Last week, I mentioned that I was going to be doing a podcast about blogging. I don’t take myself too seriously, it seemed like fun, so why not?
Besides, I had a few questions for how I blog and since I genuinely value the questions, comments, and suggestions on this site, I want to try to provide as much information about what I share here.
So I’ve creatively titled this podcast Yet Another Blogging Podcast and the first episode is ready for download (or for listening) today.
Episode 1 – Niche and Narrow
In this podcast, I share what I believe what it means to find your niche and to go narrow when starting a blog. I want to stress that this is nothing more than my thoughts and opinions on what I’ve experienced.
This is not a dummies guide to blogging, nor am I saying that if you follow these steps that you’re going to enjoy blogging. It’s meant to answer some of the questions that I’ve received over the past couple of weeks.
This is how I blog and this is what is working – and has worked – for me and hopefully it’ll help you guys.
- The Podcast is going to cover five topics:
- These are my thoughts and my opinions on what I’ve experienced. It’s not a recipe for success.
- Picking your niche is easy – but you must identify what’s the most exciting part of your it.
- Write at the intersection of what you enjoy writing about and what has the potential for most discussion for you and your readers.
- Going narrow means that you should be able to populate each category with relatively the same number of posts.
- Not every methodology for writing works for everyone.
- Find what works for you, but…
- Start Writing. You’ll get a feel for what you want to write about.
- Categorize Each Post. Don’t write a post spanning a handful of categories, but one.
- A good rule of thumb for categories is approximately seven categories.
- I cover a couple of strategies for how to come up with categories and how to weed out what you don’t want to talk about.
If you listen all the way through the end, note that I’m looking for a good exit tag line and I’m taking contributions from you guys so let me know some suggestions! I figured it’d be fun :).
Finally, if you’ve got any critiques, suggestions, and questions, leave ’em in the comments.
Download or Listen
You can grab a copy or listen in your browser using the player below. The podcast clocks in at 9 minutes and 43 seconds, so it’s short and to the point – exactly what I’m aiming to do for this series.