One of the things that I really enjoy whether or not I’m out for a walk, a run, or a drive, is listen to a number of different podcasts. And I don’t think I’m an exception.
As with any topic that we all like, there are times in which I find myself wanting a WordPress podcast. To be clear, this isn’t to say there aren’t any – WP Tavern, DradCast, and Apply Filters turn out good stuff – and the now-defunct WP Candy Podcast used to be a fun listen, but I do think there’s a gap in WordPress-related podcasts.
At least in so far as the style of the podcast is concerned.
Another WordPress Podcast
This isn’t a novel topic – people involved with WordPress talk about existing podcasts and potential podcasts relatively frequently so I’m certainly not bucking the trend with this; however, for all of the talk that goes on around it, I’m curious as to what each person would want most out of a podcast.
When I was thinking through this, I ended up asking the following questions:
- What would make a new podcast interested?
- Is it interesting to have one person talking for 20 minutes, or is it more interested to have a set group of people (with or without random guests) having a round table chat?
- Is it more interesting to hear about news, opinions, or have discussions about general themes, plugins, tools, etc.?
- Which format would be more fun – educational and informative or off-the-cuff conversation for all who are involved.
- If there are guests, should they be regularly scheduled or randomly included?
- How much is too much? Once a month? Bimonthly?
When it comes to talking about things like this, one of the number one push backs that you’re likely to hear is that:
We don’t need another WordPress podcast.
But I’m not really a fan of that particular argument. Can’t someone take that phrase and make it about anything?
We don’t need another [x].
There are very few things that we actually need, but with a wide enough audience, there’s interest and appeal to a lot of people on a lot of different things. So it’s more of a “want.”
Do we want another type of podcast? Do we want something else to listen to, or are the existing podcasts doing a good job of covering the topics at hand? I dunno. I’ve mixed thoughts on all of the above, but I’m still interested in hearing what the rest of you think. Me personally, I like this style:
- Monthly, 20 minute round table conversation about opinions on some of the news and happenings within WordPress. Not tailored specifically for developers or designers but those who are involved with WordPress. Guests are welcome but not required. There should be at least two or three regular hosts to make each episode’s discussion interesting.
So that’s my take on it. What’s yours?
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.