In January 2011, Atlanta was hit with a major snow storm that had many of us hanging out inside of our homes for days at a time. To say that I had cabin fever would be an understatement.
During that time, I wrote a really simple social icons plugin for WordPress. Because I used Jason Frame’s excellent jQuery plugin called Tipsy, I aptly named the plugin Tipsy Social Icons.
Since it was first released, I’ve done much more WordPress development and this plugin wasn’t up to par with my usual standards, so I’m updating it and am officially releasing Tipsy Social Icons 3.0.
About Tipsy Social Icons
Tipsy Social Icons is a simple WordPress widget that makes it easy to include a variety of social icons and custom labels into your WordPress blog or site.
It includes both 16×16 and 32×32 variations of the icons as well as optional hover effects. It allows you to:
- Define a custom URL for each image
- Easily customize each icon’s label
- Modify the placement of the tooltips
- Select which size icon you’d like to use
- Is fully localized for translation
- …and more
The plugin includes icons for:
- Deviant Art
- Stack Overflow
You can install the plugin from the WordPress Plugin’s Dashboard or from the project’s page.
What’s New in 3.0?
Tipsy Social Icons 3.0 includes a number of major improvements:
- The entire administration interface has been improved
- I’ve brought the codebase up to the WordPress Coding Standards
- Introduced placeholder text for each social icon field
- Tooltips can now be completely disabled
- I removed the Posterous icon
- I added icons to Evernote, GitHub, Picasa, Rdio, Stack Overflow, Stumble Upon, Yelp, and ZooTool
- The screenshots have been updated as well as the plugin header image
For more information, be sure to check out the documentation at the plugin’s page in the WordPress Plugin’s Repository.
Donations: If you’ve enjoyed using this plugin, please consider making a donation!
Note: Many of the icons are based on Rogie King’s excellent social networking icon pack. The license for the plugins is bundled with the plugin.
Thanks to Branco WebHostingGeeks.com for the Slovak translation!