As much as I love GitHub, it’s lack of mobile applications has always been kind of a bummer to me. Sure, there is GitHub Issues and it’s not bad, but it’s basically a way to keep up with issues and bugs that crop with your repositories. Personally (and surely I’m not alone), I’ve always wanted a full-featured version of GitHub for iPhone.
A couple of years a go, I met a Matthew Strickland via Twitter – he’s a solid guy, solid developer, and I’ve had the pleasure of meeting up more than a couple of times around Atlanta.
Recently, he released Gitty – and it solves the problem of a missing client of GitHub for iPhone.
GitHub For iPhone
In short, Gitty is full-featured versin of GitHub for the iPhone. On top of that, it has a slick interface that most of us who use iOS daily have come to expect.
Where as GitHub Issues is practically an issues tracker, Gitty offers significantly more features:
Events, Notifications, and More
- Just as you’ve come to expect from GitHub, you can track events for your repositories and the repositories that you’ve starred.
- If you’re part of an organization, it the app also allows you to keep track with those repositories, as well.
- You can also keep up with all of the notifications and the various deep links that you’re used to following within the context of GitHub.
Repositories and Issus
- Gitty supports access to both public and private repositories
- It also provides access to project source code and their corresponding issues.
Bugs, Comments, and Pull Requests
- Track with the latest issues, commits, and pull requests for your repositories.
- Handle your issues – open, close, and/or comment on outstanding issues
- Merge pull requests, just as you’d expect
- Gitty also provides support for various aspects of GitHub
- The app offers a search of the job feed
- Use the app to search both users and repositories
- Follow the GitHub blog
Get Gitty About Gitty
Yeah, I know – the title’s a little punny, but Matthew has been kind enough to give me a single promo code to give away in contest.
So from today through the next week, the contest will be held.
As with previous giveaways, just leave a comment and tweet out a link and you’re entered:
Good luck to you guys :)!
Keep Up with Gitty
For those of you who are interested, there’s a variety of ways to check out what the app offers (and to keep up with its development):