On March 14, 2011, I released the first version of the jQuery Konami Code as part of a project that I was finishing up. The project itself is no longer active; however, the jQuery Konami Code has been sitting in GitHub ever since.
Earlier this week, I merged the first pull request that the plugin has received (thanks to Stephen Hill!) which introduced a number of improvements.
Next, I spent some time cleaning up the demo code, cleaning up the actual project directory, and making a few other improvements with the help of JSLint.
One of the things that I love about working on side projects is that they can be just as complex or simple, or as fun or mundane as you want them to be.
Case in point: A couple of years ago when 8BIT was first getting started, we had a really simple landing page, but we had the idea to incorporate something fun.
Considering we all group up during the 8-bit era of video games, we opted to incorporate the Konami code into our site. So I wrote a small jQuery plugin that makes it really easy to include the cheat code into your site or web application.
Simply put, it’s the jQuery Konami Code.